Your air purifier is probably the single most important device in your home. It filters the air that you breathe, and it helps keep your home clean. But when your air purifier starts to stink, you’re going to want to do something about it.
It’s not uncommon for people to experience a weird smell when they first start using their air purifiers. This is because the machine is working hard to remove all of the impurities from the air. Don’t worry, this smell is only temporary and will go away once the purifier has had a chance to break-in.
In the meantime, here are a few tips to help reduce or eliminate any unpleasant odors and then show you how to figure out what’s causing your purifier to stink. We’ll even give you tips on how to fix the problem.
Why does my air purifier smell?
The air purifiers, which are generally designed to clean the air in the house, have filters that can be replaced after a certain period of time. As a result, if there is no filter change, it may cause dust particles and other foreign substances to accumulate in the air purifiers, resulting in a foul odor.
As Air purifiers are a great way to improve the air quality in your home, but sometimes they can smell strange.
There are a few reasons why your air purifier might be smelling bad, and each one requires a different solution.
- The most common reason for an air purifier to smell is that it needs to be cleaned. The filter can become clogged with dust and dirt, and this can cause a musty smell.
- Another reason why your air purifier might be smelling is that the water in the tank is stale. This can happen if you don’t use the purifier often, or if the water isn’t changed frequently enough.
- If your air purifier has a HEPA filter, it can also cause a smell. This is because the filter can trap particles that have an odor, such as smoke or pet dander.
How to find out the reason for your air purifier’s odor?
An air purifier is a great way to keep your home’s air clean and free of pollutants. However, if your air purifier starts to emit an unpleasant odor, it may be a sign that there is something wrong with the unit. There are a few different potential reasons why your air purifier might start to smell bad, and each one requires a different solution.
- If your air purifier’s filter is dirty, it can cause the unit to start emitting an unpleasant odor. To fix this, simply clean or replace the filter according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If there is something wrong with the air purifier’s motor, it can also cause the unit to start emitting an unpleasant odor. If this is the case, you will need to have the air purifier serviced by a professional.
- If your air purifier is turned on but not running properly, it can also cause the unit to start emitting an unpleasant odor. This usually indicates that there is something wrong with the air purifier’s motor. To fix this, you will need to have the air purifier serviced by a professional.
- Lastly, if you have tried all of these solutions and your air purifier still smells bad, it is possible that the unit is defective and needs to be replaced. Contact the air purifier’s manufacturer to find out if this is covered under warranty.
How to clean smelly air purifiers?
If your air purifier smells, it may be due to a buildup of dust, dirt, and other particles in the unit. To clean your air purifier and get rid of the bad smell, follow these steps:
Step 1: Unplug the air purifier and remove the filter.
Step 2: Wash the filter with warm water and soap.
Step 3: Rinse the filter well and let it air dry.
Step 4: Vacuum the inside of the air purifier unit with a soft brush attachment.
Step 5: Wipe down the inside of the unit with a damp cloth.
Step 6: Rinse the cloth and wipe down the unit again.
Step 7: Let the unit air dry completely before plugging it back in.
Step 8: Replace the filter and turn on the air purifier.
How to fix a smelly air purifier?
There are a few things you can do to fix a smelly air purifier.
- First, make sure to clean the filter regularly.
- You should also empty and clean the water tank, and change the filter every few months.
- If the air purifier still smells, it may be because the fan is dirty. Clean the fan by removing it from the unit and wiping it down with a damp cloth.
- If the problem persists, you may need to replace the air purifier.
- Make sure your air purifier is placed in an open area where it can circulate freely.
- If possible, try and avoid placing it near any strong-smelling items like paint fumes, pets, or cooking food.
An air purifier can be a great way to keep your home’s air clean and free of pollutants. However, if your air purifier starts to emit an unpleasant odor, it may be a sign that there is something wrong with the unit.
There are a few different potential reasons why your air purifier might start to smell bad, and each one requires a different solution.
To fix your air purifier, you will need to determine the cause of the odor and clean or replace the filter accordingly.
I am Jeff Bortnick, the founder of SMART WISE HOME. I am also a husband, father of two, and a long-time technology lover. I have been obsessed with home automation since I was at University doing my MSc in Automation and Control Engineering